Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day Giveaway : DivaCup - CLOSED

Winners: Melanie, KrisL, and Vicola!

I am amazed at how many women don't know about menstrual cups, and that those that do know are afraid to use them. Menstrual cups are incredible - comfortable, safe, easy, and eco-friendly. Once you start using one you'll wonder what took you so long! There are a lot of different options, but the one I've used the most is called The DivaCup.

Not convinced? Check out this amazing video by my pal Rachel Sarnoff. I was going to make one myself, but she really says it all and says it well!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just bought one but haven't used it yet. I am skeptical but everyone just keeps singing praise so I thought I have to give it a shot.

Jess said...

Until i saw this post on your facebook i didn't even know what one is...i am still in shock that this exists yet curious. i never even thought about the fact that pads and tampons weren't "green".
jessi.coble@gmail.com
model 1 size

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to try a Divacup for a few years now, but since I've only seen them online I never took the plunge. I would love to win one for Earth Day because it really kills me to throw away these items and contribute to a landfill. I really believe this product benefits the earth because the amount of waste each month from these products is not good for our Mother Earth.

Size - Model #2

My e-mail address is connfamily@verizon.net

Following you and Divacup on FB and hopefully I twitted the giveaway correctly (I'm MelanieC_ on Twitter)

Thanks,
Melanie

Lizzie said...

I learned about this years ago (when I was a young mom) and my first thought was, what?! umm, no. Well, since I am a very new vegetarian...trying to be vegan...I have become more aware of my effect on the animals and the planet. I would really like to try this-I am over my grossed-out factor, lol-Seeing as I am a model size 2 now.

I am a fan of you and diva on fb and I am following you both on twitter...cuzimmablonde (twitter).

lizziemahoney@hotmail.com

LuckyEmmie said...

Love love LOVE menstrual cups. And for beginners-- there's a pretty steep learning curve to get comfortable with using it, but be persistent and keep trying. It is so worth it in the end!

Not only is it eco-friendly and healthier (it's non-porous, so it doesn't grow bacteria easily, and it doesn't absorb your body's natural lubricants), but once you get the hang of it, it's much more convenient. You can leave it in for as long as 12 hours at a go, and it holds more than a super tampon.

Anon said...

- U.S. resident here!
- Sent you a Facebook message with my email address
- Following Eco-vegan Gal and Diva Cup on Twitter and I RTed your reminder contest post (@KLajeunesse)
- 'Like'ing Eco-vegan Gal and Dive Cup on Facebook, 'shared' your contest reminder post, and commented on Diva Cup's wall about entering the contest

Why I would like a Diva Cup:

I've been using tampons since I first started menstruating. I was quite obviously influenced by TV commercials and friends. I'm now 27 and have realized that it's time for a change.

FOR ME:

I really didn't give much thought to using tampons until my mom started sharing information with me about tampons upsetting the natural pH balance in women, which can cause yeast infections. I also learned that some fibers used in tampons can cause small lesions on the cervical area and can, in some cases, cause damage to the vaginal wall. And let's not forget the potential side effects of the bleach used to whiten cotton. This is obviously all bad news.

Recently, I took a step back. I started thinking about the changes I had made in my diet (becoming vegan 4 years ago) for health reasons and realized that it truly didn't make sense for someone concerned about their health to continue using tampons.

FOR THE ENVIRONMENT:

Becoming vegan for my health also very quickly opened doors to the realization of how my food choices heavily influence the environment (and animals too!).

I have been so proud of being vegan for environmental reasons - not supporting the factory farm industry - and yet again, I didn't think about one of the things that I do at least 4 days out of every month that's harmful to the environment: throwing out tampons (not just the tampon itself but the box they came in, the plastic wrapping, and the hard plastic cover). According to "FemChoice Blog" the average woman will use over 16,500 tampons and/or pads in a lifetime. What a waste!!!

The Diva Cup is a clear winner in all respects here: optimal health and reduced waste. If given the opportunity to try one, I will finally feel like I am not only more completely taking care of my body, but taking care of the environment as well.

Anon said...

Oh, and Model 1, please! :)

Veedle said...

My best friend told me to get one because this changed her life. No "period panties", saves tons of money & the environment with pads/tampons, only need pantiliners just in case. So I'm ready to do this now but have a wedding in July and no money. What's worse is I might be on my honeymoon & menstruating. *sob* To have the ease of the DivaCup with me would save the day. Model 2 because of age. Victoria McDaniel stirfrypep@gmail.com and YES I have facebook liked both DivaCup and Eco-Vegan gal; Twitter following both DivaCup and Eco-Vegan gal; I posted a comment on both of their fb pages, Shared the contest with friends on my FB page, and I posted a twitter to both Eco-Vegan gal and DivaCup. Many thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails''