Friday, March 12, 2010

Natural Products Expo West: Friday, March 12, 2010


Today I went to Natural Products Expo West for the first time and it was amazing, and overwhelming. I've been to a lot of events and this is definitely the biggest - I have never seen so many company booths in one place!

I am working on a video I shot for Waylon Lewis of Elephant Journal, so be sure to stay tuned for that (next week). In the meantime, here are some notes of the things I saw today (I'm going back tomorrow for more!)
  • Tofurky had the most memorable product - frozen vegan pizza with Daiya! It was so good - reminded me of the non-vegan kind I got as a kid: salty, crispy, thin crust.
  • I saw some beautiful glass bottles by Takeya - a great product to buy, especially if you read my post on plastic bottles!
  • Waylon spoke with Silk/Horizon milk about the recent controversy over their organic line - they had some great answers that you can find in the video. I also tried their new almond milk - delicious!
  • St. Amour has some new vegan cakes that might be sold in Whole Foods - they were quite good. Check out my post on their baby biscuits. I took home some of their Rasperberry Chocolate Chip Rocks & Rolls - they are very tasty, great flavor!
  • Amy's also has a new vegan pizza, but it's just their roasted vegetable on rice crust. They were out of their new Rice Macaroni today, but hopefully I can try it tomorrow!
  • Finally met Abigail Young from VegNews in person, who featured me in an article she wrote for the current issue - check it out!
Though the Expo has taken some measures to be eco-friendly, overall the event is pretty wasteful. Even though a lot of companies use recycled, recyclable, or biodegradable packaging, it's still a lot; there are so many samples in small containers and cups being passed out. I tried to avoid trying products unless they were package-free, but it was hard. If you go, be sure to bring your own water bottle to try all the liquid samples, and don't take a napkin unless you need it.

Organic was the big word there - it was practically on every sign! Sounds like a good thing, but I'm always skeptical until I know about each ingredient and how/if they're certified. I was excited to learn about Quality Assurance International Organic Certification, which you will see in the Elephant Journal video.

Here's a little teaser of the video soon to come...

3 comments:

shannonmarie said...

I'll stay tuned for more :-)

The Blissful Chef said...

You would be so proud of me! I took my own food container and reused the same bio cup for all my beverage tastings, brought my own utensil of course, and took photos of all the business cards. So not much waste on my part!

Unknown said...

I just found your site...I will need to try the products you have mentioned...If you are ever near Tampa Florida and you need a very dramatic/comic vegan actor...I would be glad to help out...watch my Jeep try to run me down on my YT site "DramaDon83"..you are doing some very spiritual work and you look like you are having the time of your life..

Related Posts with Thumbnails''